TB Technical Lead
Opportunity Type: Fixed term Contract
Start Date: 01 October 2021
Application Closing date: 21 September 2021
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV/AIDS. As a health delivery and research organisation engaging with the local community, government and international funders, THINK has provided care to over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal Province and carried out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing TB treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for a suitable and qualified TB Technical Lead. The incumbent will have to provide technical guidance, advice and strategic direction to strengthen service delivery and quality assurance in THINK LON TB programs across the supported districts. Support the strategic planning, governance and management to THINK supported Program & overseeing the successful delivery of the Program outputs in the district. The TB Technical Lead will be responsible for providing technical guidance on both drug-sensitive and drug-resistant TB care to facilitate more efficient and effective collaboration and mechanisms for the implementation of the national TB programme and improve quality of services.The incumbent acts as a pivotal point of contact for relevant stakeholders. This position will be based in Amajuba/uThukela in KwaZulu Natal.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Responsible for the National technical leadership and managerial oversight in the technical implementation of project strategy in alignment with the Project’s key objectives and expected outcomes.
- Provide technical support to National programmes, focusing on quality of TB services and expansion of private sector engagement,
- Improving DS TB and drug-resistance TB case detection through the FAST approach and other strategies, linkage to care and support,
- Support the decentralisation of drug resistant TB treatment, piloting of gender-responsive interventions, and interpret and use strategic information to strengthen the TB programme at National level.
- Ensure that National Programmes are implemented in accordance with WHO and international best practices.
- Provide technical advice for clinical management of adverse events, including SAE’s.
- Assist in setting up a reporting framework for AE’s and SAE’s
- Foster relationship with district, provincial and national staff including clinic staff and medical practitioners
- Medical – TB expert key liaison covering both technical support to the programs training and staff development as well as program oversight.
- Collaborate with the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party and local partners to provide technical guidance to Implementing teams Nationally.
- Establish, implement and monitor interventions to achieve effective and efficient mechanisms to implement TB programme and related services.
- Regular reports to CEO on the progress of programmes and services
- Ensure technical scope of partnerships and sub-agreements is in alignment with USAID, regional, national and all other frameworks, priorities and strategies directing the project.
- Mentor and teach other staff in TB Programme management and medical knowledge
- Mentor and support members of co-treating facilities in TB Programme principles
- Facilitate trainings to ensure all staff have updated medical knowledge and protocol training
- Be passionate about making the difference and add value to THINK
- Perform other duties as required
- Medical Degree (MBChB), registered with the HPCSA
- Minimum of 10 years post community service as a doctor in TB or HIV medicine; prior experience with USAID or other donor-funded projects required.
- Working knowledge of and/or experience with USG-funded program management, policies, regulations, and procedures is desirable.
- Knowledge of district and provincial DoH government structures.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and with team members and partners at all levels
- Work experience with local and international partners, including both private and public partners
- Excellent English language skills and written and oral communication skills
- Rereporting, Training, facilitation and research skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Adaptable, willing to take initiative and empathetic.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Able to work in a highly pressurized environment and able to travel locally and nationally.
- Clear Criminal Record
- Driver’s Licence and own vehicle
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance. Queries can be directed to N Msweli -HR Officer at email@example.com.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online form below:
APPLY NOWTo apply for any of the above positions please fill in your details below and upload your recent CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
Salaries are negotiable.
Please add recent payslip to submission.
"*" indicates required fields