Position: Social Worker
Opportunity type: Fixed term Contract – 12 months
Starting date: 1 June 2020
Location: Appelsbosch Hospital_ THINK, KwaZulu-Natal Province
Application closing date: 13 April 2020
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the role of Social Worker to support the implementation of the THINK USAID SAFT (Safeguarding Advances in the Fight against DR TB) Project in uMgungundlovu District, KwaZulu-Natal Province. The aim of the SAFT Project is to safeguard advances of TB treatment by strengthening the MDR-TB health care platform in the uMgungundlovu District. The Social Worker will be based at Appelsbosch Hospital and will report to the THINK TB Technical Leader.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Provide appropriate assessment and interventions for patients affected with MDR TB
- Provide pyscho-social support including supportive counselling to patients and families
- Provide Enhanced Adherence Counselling to patients initiated on DR-TB treatment
- Ensure patients are linked to necessary support structures
- Develop individualised Enhanced Adherence plans for patients with DR-TB
- Develop individualised Enhanced adherence plans for patients co-infected with HIV
- Assist patients to understand their treatment and its challenges
- Prepare clients/patients to initiate treatment
- Provide ongoing support for clients/patients to adhere to treatment over the course of TB treatment and if applicable, to antiretroviral treatment.
- If necessary, help identify a treatment supporter and link to adherence plan.
- Help clients/patients develop good treatment-taking behaviour
- Provide information to the programme Linkage Officers to ensure all information is captured into the SAFT on line data application system
- Travel between health care facilities within uMgungundlovu District as well as commute to SAFT Programme Office in Hilton
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor Degree in Social Work with minimum 5 years work experience
- Knowledge of TB and DR TB
- Experience as a community health facilitator will be advantageous
- Possess good knowledge of HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with stakeholders and clients
- Good verbal communication skills
- Valid Code 08 Drivers licence
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online portal found at: