Professional Nurses – TB NIMDR – Appelsbosch
Position: Professional Nurses – TB NIMDR
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: 1st May 2021
Application Closing Date: 19th March 2021
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV/AIDS. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal Province and carries out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing TB Treatment Guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for Professional Nurses – NIMDR TB to support the implementation of the THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu Natal Districts. The aim of the project is to safeguard advances of TB treatment by strengthening the TB health care platform in the district. The Professional Nurses – NIMDR TB will be based in KwaZulu-Natal Province (eThekwini, uMgungundlovu, and uMkhanyakude) and report to the THINK District coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Liaising with DOH district staff on procedures for diagnosis and treatment for DR-TB patients
- Initiating and sustaining linkages with health facilities and relevant NGOs
- Provide guidance and technical support on DR-TB, DS-TB and TB/HIV prevention, treatment and reporting to staff in facilities and participate in activities related to:
- contact tracing of patients
- Track patients who have missed appointments for treatment initiation and for follow-up visits.
- Ensuring safe collection of quality sputum for testing
- Ensuring HIV testing for TB patients with unknown and HIV negative status.
- Promoting infection prevention and control, including dissemination of infection control materials
- Conducting education and training on DR-TB. Organize, attend and facilitate such workshops in liaison with other clinical teams.
- Ensuring that adherence counselling and support is provided for patients on treatment across all facilities supported.
- Ensuring and support monitoring and reporting of adverse drug events for Second line TB medicines (ADSM).
- Ongoing capacity building for different cadres of health care workers on clinical management, infection, control and ethics.
- Support implementation of EDRWeb.
- Monitor and support project staff placed at facility and district level.
- Lead in baseline facility assessments.
- Ensure treatment of all eligible patients for LTBI
- Regularly evaluate and analyse the progress, successes, and challenges with patients initiated on treatment, as part of Continuous Quality Improvement
- Meet regularly with the program advisors and supervisor for effective programme implementation.
- Perform any other duty that may arise during the duration of the project
- Submit reports (weekly, monthly, and quarterly) on programme indicators and progress. Perform quality checks on MDR-TB register/EDR web generated data.
- Willing to travel between health care facilities within the district.
- Perform other duties as required
- Nursing Degree/Diploma
- Registered nurse trained on NIMDR-TB (nurse-initiated management of DR-TB)
- Sound knowledge on TB, MDR TB and TBHIV
- Knowledge on the South African health system (provincial, district, sub district and facility levels) will be an advantage
- Knowledge on TB recording (MDR-TB register/EDR web) and reporting is essential.
- Three to 5 years’ experience in TB patient care
- Experience in programme coordination and training is an asset
- Research experience would be an advantage
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages is essential.
- A driver’s License is a pre-requisite
- Clear Criminal record.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online portal found at:
APPLY NOWTo apply for any of the above positions please fill in your details below and upload your recent CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
Salaries are negotiable.
Please add recent payslip to submission.