Professional Nurse Mentors
Position: Professional Nurse Mentors
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: 1st May 2021
Application Closing Date: 19th March 2021
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking to appoint Professional Nurse Mentors- TB to support the implementation of the THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu Natal Districts. The aim of the project is to safeguard advances of TB treatment by strengthening the TB health care platform in the district. The Professional Nurse Mentors- TB will be based in KwaZulu-Natal Province (eThekwini, uMgungundlovu, and uMkhanyakude) and report to the THINK District Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Develop a long-term strategy to address the TB/DRTB Mentoring needs at the designated facilities;
- Assist health facility teams in the development of clinical standards and procedures for TB services;
- Support the integration of TB/DRTB, HIV and NCDs aligned to PHC reengineering, ICSM and ideal clinic strategies;
- Conduct and facilitate training related to TB/DRTB, HIV and NCDs management, both clinical and managerial with the intension of improving TB treatment outcomes in the designated facilities;
- Work with health facility management teams in the design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the TB implementation plans of the health facility and associated community institutions;
- Establish program linkages and referrals between the health facilities and associated referral facilities and community institutions supporting the TB care cascade within the district;
- Collaborate with NGOs/CBOs to facilitate continuity of care and improve TB/DRTB, HIV and NCD treatment outcomes;
- Provide mentoring and technical assistance in the implementation and operationalization of the projects TB/DRTB, HIV and NCDs interventions at health facility level;
- Provide direct on-site support for nurses and auxiliary staff during patient visits at the facility;
- Conduct TB/DRTB, HIV and NCDs training needs assessments at the health facilities;
- Reinforce all TB/DRTB, HIV and NCDs related training during case studies, lectures, presentations, and grand rounds;
- Work in collaboration with the other clinicians and promote a multidisciplinary team approach to TB/DRTB, HIV and NCDs management, including an expanded role for nurses;
- Advocate a conducive environment for good patient care and provider development;
- Assist with Monitoring and Evaluation activities for the TB/DRTB, HIV and NCDs program;
- Provide monthly and quarterly status reports to the District Coordinator;
- Provide activity-based reports a per the project guidelines to the District Coordinator
- Provide services to the surrounding communities
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Other project management activities may occur as the needs of this project evolve
- Perform other duties as required
- Nursing degree or diploma
- 5 years’ experience in TB/DRTB case management
- Experience in program planning, assessment and implementation of TB/DRTB clinical and community care
- Experience in the provision of health worker training, coaching skills, mentoring, team building
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office application
- Knowledge of South Africa’s current evident-based TB/DR-TB and TB-HIV investigations and treatment
- Knowledge and sensitivity to working with multi-cultural groups
- Experience in TB/DR-TB and TB-HIV program monitoring and evaluation
- Previous work experience in NGOs or funded programmes will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of HIV strategies, including the UNAIDS 95-95-95 targets, and TB management.
- Valid Driver’s Licence required
- Clear Criminal Record
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online portal found at:
APPLY NOWTo apply for any of the above positions please fill in your details below and upload your recent CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
Salaries are negotiable.
Please add recent payslip to submission.