Professional Nurse – Amajuba
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: November/ December 2021
Location: Amajuba District
Application Closing Date: 11 October 2021
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking to appoint a qualified and skilled Professional Nurse to support the implementation of the THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu Natal Districts. The successful incumbent will be responsible to provide TB Direct Service Delivery support to the facilities. The Professional Nurse will be based in Amajuba District.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the provision of high-quality treatment and care to TB, DR-TB and TB-HIV patients and support monitoring and reporting
- Review all files of patients in the cohort that were due to complete TPT in the previous month but do not have a stop date captured on TIER list to be generated by M&E / DQM.
- Participate in the situational analysis and facility assessment
- Discuss and agree on plan of action, including time frames and responsible person
- If any clinical knowledge gaps were identified, work with the Professional Nurse Mentor to conduct in-service training / mentoring for nurses on TPT eligibility, TPT contra-indications, TPT duration, TPT side effects
- If any challenges were identified relating to completion of clinical stationery, inform Professional Nurse Mentor to mentor relevant nurse(s) on correct documentation of TPT start and stop dates
- Conduct file audits for TB_STAT and TB_ART using information from DQM. Use the appropriate TB audit tool to do the audits together with DQM.
- Identify all HIV positive patients not yet on ART at 2- 4 weeks of TB treatment initiation, and ensure they are called back by Linkage Officer for ART initiation.
- Audit the files of patients with a bacteriologically positive TB result that have not been started on TB treatment (get list from Data Clerks) and check if the treatment was started or not – if not give the list to the Linkage Officers to call those clients for treatment initiation.
- Audit the files of patients who have been on TB treatment (both DS-TB and DR-TB) for longer than the expected duration and do not have an outcome.
- Ensure that outcomes are recorded accordingly, give the files to DC to update
- Support Linkage to care and treatment initiation of newly diagnosed DR-TB patients
- Support Return to Care of DR-TB patients
- Assess understanding and eligibility of potential volunteer participants who visit the health facilities
- Contribute to betterment of THINK
- Ensure THINK vision, mission and values are reflected in all job outcomes
- Perform other duties as required
Essential qualifications and experience
- A Diploma/ Degree in Nursing SANC Certificate & Registration
- Basic TB Management certificate
- NIMART/NIMDR certificate
- 2 years’ experience in TB/HIV programmes
- At least 1 years’ experience with managing TB or HIV+ve patients at PHC level
- Must be resourceful and take initiative even when given minimal direction
- Good verbal communication skills
- Valid Driver’s licence and own vehicle
- Must not have a criminal record.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online form below:
APPLY NOWTo apply for any of the above positions please fill in your details below and upload your recent CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
Salaries are negotiable.
Please add recent payslip to submission.
"*" indicates required fields