Deputy Chief of Party (HIV/AIDS) (Proposal)
Opportunity Type: Fixed term Contract
Start Date: TBA
Location: To be edited based on proposal
Application Closing date: TBA
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV/AIDS. As a health delivery and research organisation engaging with the local community, government and international funders, THINK has provided care to over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal Province and carried out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing TB treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for a suitable and qualified candidate to fill the role of Deputy Chief of Party (HIV) to assist with initially drafting of a proposal in response to a funding call. If the proposal is successful, the successful candidate will automatically transition into the role of DCOP for that project. Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will foster close working between technical teams and project outreach personnel ensuring program delivery of outcomes and milestones. The DCOP will be responsible for the day-to-day operations to ensure seamless management of all technical and operational aspects of the HIV AIDS program. Responsible for high-quality service delivery, outreach and staff capacity building ensuring compliance with the funders policies and procedures. The position will cultivate relationships with the government to advance program objectives to ensure smooth implementation of program activities.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Initially during the drafting of proposal stage:
- Study RFP to understand the call and its requirements and present to writing team
- Internally: Co-ordinate brainstorming and feedback sessions on development of the proposal with the THINK writing and finance teams
- Contribute to the bulk of the content of the proposal within given timelines
- Assist with budget development with finance team
- Assist with development and review of supporting documents
- Externally: Liase with collaborators (and their support teams) from different organisations during the grant development process
Thereafter, if the proposal is successful, s/he will be responsible for providing technical, programmatic and/or administrative oversight of implementation of the Activity under the direction of the Chief of Party. S/he will serve as Acting Chief of Party, assuming overall responsibility for the implementation and management of the Activity, in the absence of the Chief of Party, to include serving as the principal institutional liaison to the funder.
- Provide leadership to the project’s administrative team, setting strategic direction and priorities and monitoring compliance and adherence to company policies and procedures across global and country programs.
- Provide support and oversight to project coordinators for accurate and timely financial management and backstopping of country-based programs, including training, mentoring, and supervision.
- Contribute to strategic thinking and direction of project administrative policies, reflection growth and changes to respond to client compliance requirements.
- Ensure that internal contractual, financial, procurement and administrative procedures are in accordance with the laws and other requirements of the funder.
- A minimum of a Master Level Degree in Public Health, Health Administration (or related degree), OR a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health (or related degree) plus seven years of professional experience working in public health;
- A PhD will be an advantage.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience designing and implementing infectious disease programs, particularly HIV. 3-5 years in technical leadership role in resource constraints settings
- Professional level of technical or managerial knowledge, skills, and experience to manage the operational activities of a unit or team, provide the technical and management support related to various size programs, grants or projects.
- Demonstrated experience working with bilateral and/or multilateral donors and familiarity with their procedures and practices.
- Demonstrated Experience managing and/or collaborating with donor-funded award implementing partners.
- Demonstrated experience in the financial management of a public health program with a budget over $1 million.
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience leading a technical activity through evidence-driven decision making;
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders;
- Working knowledge of and/or experience with internationally-funded program management, policies, regulations, and procedures are desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in program coordination and public health projects particularly in implementing and managing projects, consultants, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of HIV/AIDS programs, Social and Behaviour Change, advocacy, data management and use, etc.
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to liaise with mid to senior level government officials, dignitaries, executives of NGOs, FBOs, CBOs, and members of the donor community; and
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and with team members and partners at all levels
- Excellent English language skills and written and oral communication skills
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance. Queries can be directed to HR Manager, Nokuthula Ndlela – email@example.com
Applications are only accepted if received via the online form below:
APPLY NOWTo apply for any of the above positions please fill in your details below and upload your recent CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
Salaries are negotiable.
Please add recent payslip to submission.
"*" indicates required fields