Community Liaison Officer – uThukela / Amajuba
|Position:||Community Liaison Officer|
|Opportunity Type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Start Date:||1 September 2022|
|Location:||uThukela / Amajuba, KwaZulu-Natal Province|
|Application Closing Date:||15 August 2022|
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for a Community Liaison Officer to support the implementation of the THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu Natal Districts. The aim of the project is to safeguard advances of TB treatment by strengthening the TB health care platform in the district. The Enrolled Nurses will be based in KwaZulu-Natal Province (uThukela / Amajuba) and report to the THINK Stakeholder and Relations Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Facilitation and implementation of community engagement and stakeholder relations activities in the district for all project
- Participate in the development of and implementation of stakeholder engagement strategy
- Participate in development of activities at community and partner level to improve services of all programmes and projects
- Conduct stakeholder mapping where TB services are implemented
- Develop and maintain updated stakeholder analysis, directory, mapping, engagements, and Alignment of Project objectives with THINK Strategic intent including funder expectations and requirements
- Continuous engagement with civil society structure, organisations, Doh and other key stakeholders
- Regular external stakeholder engagements with DoH to ensure project deliverables are achieved
- Facilitate the relationship between stakeholders, the community at large and THINK
- Line management and team building for Community Outreach Workers
- Proactively maintain an up-dated knowledge base pertaining to TB prevention, related subjects and clinical trials conducted at THINK
- Ensure THINK vision, mission and values are reflected in the community
- Organise and preside over meetings with external community organisations.
- Report to internal and external stakeholders on project performance
- Obtain and distribute to Community Outreach Workers latest and up-dated information about TB and related subjects
- Attend training programmes, workshops and conferences related to trials and research being carried out by the THINK
- Assess understanding and eligibility of potential volunteer participants who visit the health facilities
- Co-ordinate communication and public notices of opportunities for external community organisations
- Continuously provide feedback to stakeholders on community concerns and priorities with the view to improve engagement with the community.
- Schedule outreach meetings with local community members to identify their issues and concerns
- Maintain an effective communication structure and channels with relevant stakeholders
- Creative planning and execution of Community Outreach Events and Activities
- Coordinate public relations campaigns and Stakeholder events.
- Encourage volunteerism through community outreach
- Facilitate meeting and workshops
- Ensure CLOs, CHW, CCG and volunteers are appointed, engaged, trained, and placed appropriately
- Participate or represent organisation in conferences
- Provide direct support to subordinates
- Capacity building through attending appropriate training
- Be passionate about making a difference and add value to THINK
- Perform other duties as require
- Assist in driving the support of current public relations programmes to educate the community members about projects.
- Promote and coordinate public marketing initiatives.
- Collate, analyse, and write reports to share insights, conduct further research and organise follow-up meetings to address outstanding concerns with the community leader
- Report and monitor engagement actions and plans.
- Perform other duties as required
- A post matric qualification in Public Relations (PR), Communications or relevant field.
- An additional qualification in one or more of the following fields will be an added advantage:
- Community Development
- Project Management
- Public Administration
- Social Sciences
- Development Studies
- At least 3 years’ experience in community development and facilitation
- A clear portfolio of evidence on community projects managed previously.
- Previous experience in formal bargaining processes/structures is desirable
- Computer literacy is essential
- Clear criminal record
- Previous work experience in NGOs or funded programmes will be an advantage.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within four weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online form below.