Community Liaison Officer – uMkhanyakude
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: February 2022
Application Closing Date: 09 January 2022
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking to appoint a skilled Community Liaison Officer to support the implementation THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu Natal Districts. The successful incumbent will be responsible for overseeing community outreach, recruitment of eligible participants, retention of enrolled participants and the supervision of Community Outreach Activities. The Community Liaison Officer will interact regularly with the stakeholders’ point persons on this project to ensure that project development is in line with stakeholder’s priorities and that proper technical assistance is being provided to ensure transfer of knowledge. The Community Liaison Officer will be based in uMkhanyakude District.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement and manage participant recruitment, retention, tracing and adherence strategies for all clinical and socio-behavioural for SAFT TB LON project
- Facilitate the relationship between stakeholders, the community at large and THINK
- Work with Community Outreach Officers and adhere to Site targets, protocol and guidelines
- Planning and implementation of a coherent and strategized Community Outreach Programme
- Line management and team building for Community Outreach Workers
- Creative planning and execution of Community Outreach Events and Activities
- Proactively maintain an up-dated knowledge base pertaining to TB prevention, related subjects and clinical trials conducted at THINK
- Obtain and distribute to Community Outreach Workers latest and up-dated information with regard to TB and related subjects
- Attend training programmes, workshops and conferences related to trials and research being carried out by the THINK
- Constructive contribution to an effective Community Health awareness Programmes, Recruitment Programme and initiatives and Retention Programme and strategies
- Manage and implement Community Education, Recruitment and Retention Programmes
- Facilitate, participate and monitor the mobilisation of potential participants to the SAFT TB LON project, define the purpose of recruitment activities, discussion groups, pre-screening, screening and special events
- Assess understanding and eligibility of potential volunteer participants who visit the health facilities
- Contribute to betterment of THINK
- Ensure THINK vision, mission and values are reflected in all job outcomes
- Perform other duties as required
Essential qualifications and experience
- Matric, Diploma/Degree in a related field
- Minimum 3 years work experience
- Computer Literacy
- Ability to do PR work: telephonically, and to groups face to face, radio, etc
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to speak in a number of official languages advantageous
- Experience in networking with a wide range of stakeholders (including government departments, civil society organizations and communities)
- Excellent communication skills in the local language and English (oral and written, including report writing skills);
- Being a team player, with excellent people skills;
- Strong communicator who works well independently and with a team
- Superior time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be resourceful and take initiative even when given minimal direction
- Good verbal communication skills
- Valid Driver’s licence and own vehicle
- Must not have a criminal record.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online form below:
APPLY NOWTo apply for any of the above positions please fill in your details below and upload your recent CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
Salaries are negotiable.
Please add recent payslip to submission.
"*" indicates required fields